Thursday, March 5, 2009

Kanji Progress and General Japanese Update

Well, finishing tonight's review will bring me to 400 Heisig Kanji reviewed. However, I've found that the last two nights of review have been especially hard. Still, I'm not going to give up. This weekend, while I won't have access to my normal computer (meaning no Anki) I'll work on improving my memory for reviews. Maybe it's my diet or sleep schedule, or stress (the last couple of days I've had quite a workload), or that I'm simply not working the stories and components into my memory of each Kanji well enough.
Also, as of late, I've noticed that my earphones are causing mild pain even when not wearing them. For that reason, and in order to more comfortably maintain my listening environment, I'll be getting new headphones this weekend.
Finally, I've kind of got a projection of where I will be in the AJATT method. I figure by May 10th, if I continue at my rate of 25 new Kanji per review, I should be "finished" with Heisig (obviously, to keep everything in my memory, I'll continue to review after that). If I plan to go to Japan for study abroad next spring (I'll leave around March) I'll have around 10 months in the sentence phase before I leave. I doubt I'll hit true fluency by then, but I should have an ample grasp of Japanese, and if I reach fluency within about the same time frame as Khatz over at AJATT, then I should be fluent around August of 2010 (assuming I maintain my listening environment, and considering things like, the possibility that actually being in Japan may make it easier to atain fluency, I'm really thinking It'll be around July-September for fluency).
With all this said, I'd still have to say I'm in the "suck" phase of learning. I can pick out words, and sometimes understand whole sentences, but I have a hard time keeping up, and definitely with responding. Even though I did a year of self-study prior to entering college, and have taken college courses (which use all of the same material I did in my self-study... which in fact, my self-study encompassed nearly everything taught at my school), I feel like, the addition of the AJATT method has, as of late, improved my comprehension and speaking. Things that I wasn't completely sure of how to use are simply becoming more apparent, and I am learning words in context, simply through listening. Yes, it's hard at this point, but it's also been promising. Based on my own experience, I think it is definitely possible to do the AJATT method and attain near-native/full-native fluency and literacy within 18 months.

Edit: I actually didn't finish my review tonight. I had 49 kanji to review in addition to the 25 new kanji (that's almost 75 at one time). I decided to let tonight slide, and just work on getting everything into memory over the weekend (meaning tonight's kanji, and the kanji from the past couple of nights that I've been having trouble with... in addition to the ~75 kanji I'll have added by Monday from not doing reviews over the weekend). It'll be a lot to do on Monday, but i think if I can spend a weekend focusing on keeping things in my memory, and better using creative memory (making stories, putting together components), then I can pull it off and continue to use anything I glean from this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment